Additions and General Carpentry
Types of Home Improvement
While “home improvement” often refers to building projects that alter the structure of an existing home, it can also include improvements to lawns, gardens, and outdoor structures, such as gazebos and garages. Home improvement projects generally have one or more of the following goals:
- Comfort,Upgrading, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC)
- Increasing the capacity of plumbing and electrical systems.
- Waterproofing basements or other areas of home
- Soundproofing rooms, especially bedrooms and bathrooms
Maintenance and Repair
Maintenance projects can include:
- Roof tear-off and replacement
- Siding removal and replacement
- Window removal and replacement
- A combination of multiple tasks written above
- Concrete and masonry repairs to the foundation and chimney.
- Repairing plumbing and electrical systems.
- Design and building additional space
Adding Living Space
Additional living space may be added by:
- Turning marginal areas into livable spaces such as turning basements into recrooms, home theaters, or home offices – or attics into spare bedrooms.
- Additions – Extending one’s house with rooms added to the side of one’s home or, sometimes, extra levels to the original roof.
Homeowners may reduce utility costs with:
- Energy-efficient thermal insulation, replacement windows, and lighting.
- Renewable energy with biomass pellet stoves, wood-burning stoves, solar panels, wind turbines, programmable thermostats, and geothermal exchange heat pumps (see autonomous building)
Safety and Preparedness
Emergency preparedness safety measures such as:
- Home fire and burglar alarm systems.
- Fire sprinkler systems to protect homes from fires.
- Security doors, windows, and shutters.
- Storm cellars as protection from tornadoes and hurricanes.
- Bomb shelters especially during the 1950s as protection from nuclear war.
- Backup generators for providing power during power outages.
Professional Versus Do-It-Yourself
There are three main approaches to managing a home improvement project: hiring a general contractor, directly hiring specialized contractors, or doing the work oneself.
A general contractor oversees a home improvement project that involves multiple trades. A general contractor acts as project manager, providing access to the site, removing debris, coordinating work schedules, and performing some aspects of the work. Although always a more costly approach the outcome should always meet and exceed ones expectations when the right professionals are conducting their trades.
Finding a General Contractor that specializes in multiple ares of work is the optimal selection for many reasons.
Timelines seem to be the most complained issue in the industry. To wait for many different tradesman to complete one overall task is like coordinating an orchestra with all instruments not at the concert.
At South Eastern Carpentry INC all phases of construction are completed in house from the foundation to the roof and everything in-between. This transfers to an expedient job site. One company to coordinate with and a happier and smoother job site.
Contractor Customer Reviews Rating ( 0 to 5 scale) : 4.7 out of 5 based on 61 ratings. 61 reviews.